Letters from Sophie Lavaud: August 15th, 2022

view of Nanga Parbat from base camp

Dear friends,

Already been more than 3 weeks since my return to Switzerland with Dawa Sangay, we should have gone back to Pakistan yesterday to try Nanga Parbat again.

Unfortunately, the Pakistani administration has still not issued us our visas and we have decided to give up this project because the expedition we had planned to join has already left Islamabad and reached the base camp. The Nanga and its splendid flowery base camp will be for 2023.

On the other hand, a survey over several years conducted by passionate specialists threw a «pave in the pond» in the small world of the 8000ists.
Here is one of the publications published in Montagnes-Magazine. (sadly only in French available at the moment) 

Even if this does not in any way take away the performance and achievements of yesteryear, it is interesting to get as close as possible to the reality of the terrain.
Tibet is still closed, so it will not be possible to go on the slopes of Shisha Pangma, I decided to go back this fall and try the «real» summit of Manaslu.

Happy end of summer to all and looking forward to seeing each other again soon.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.